Sunday, September 28, 2014

Title

And so I begin typing. After a while, I notice I'm really talking about "nutrients" and not "Cysts". I change the title-heading. A while more, and I realise I'm really talking about "photo-pigments" and not "Nutrients". I am too lazy to change the title now. I have quite a number of paragraphs I <> to the bottom; just in case I come around to those topics again later.

Titles have somewhat bothered me. The need to label things inevitably imposes a certain set of expectations. Labels like "sickness" or "trauma" or "boy" or "senior" have over time begun to gather such weight. I would that these labels be as fluid as my paragraphs and ideas (although I would that my paragraphs and ideas be more settled). It can rather disconcerting though. To walk for such a long time without having words to describe your journey requires a lot of trust--particularly from yourself, in yourself.

What are you working on?
> I don't know yet, but I'm getting there!
You don't have a lot of time anymore.
> I... know.


I do wonder if the hesitancy at assigning labels indicate a lack of confidence though. It is easy to paint in the target-board after the arrow has been fired. It is far more accomplished to do it the other way around though. How much confidence is enough, though? Is there a way to be confident according to a different rubric from the world? So consider the person who avoids the crowds and steps away from the rat-race. Is that confidence that stems from not yielding to definitions of the world? Or is that a fear of tenacity to compete?


Yet, what is it that people try to do then when they demand for their rights? At what point are they whining about how the race regulations are unfair? Why do they even have to run that particular race? How do the same people who demand the freedom of expression demand it under the framework imposed by society? Of course, I am aware of the caveats, and I am not arguing against all cries for freedom-of-expression. It is just a general question I'm not sure many of these people have thought about.

Perhaps it is not simply space for expression that they are looking for. Perhaps it is really control they are looking for; a justification and recognition for their particular set of opinions. And yet, to so fervently have a cause to fight for requires embracing of the identity. It requires accepting a label and all the expectations attached to it.

Labels are hence so much faster; so much more focused; so much more comfortable. I don't see how else life could have raced along the way it has. And yet, labels have somewhat always bothered me though.

1 Comments:

At 2:48 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was very impressed by this post, this site has always been pleasant news. Thank you very much for such an interesting post. Keep working, great job! In my free time, I like play game: instagram photos. What about you?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home