Sunday, August 31, 2014

So an open gate...

So I stood on the pavement, looking out over the expanse of grass. In the distance was a lake, and I could hear an owl hooting in the distance. There were ripples from the lake, but no birds were in sight. Perhaps fish, then.

I wanted to walk over. And yet, the sun was setting and there were shadows. What if a pothole, a burrow, or an insect mound? What if I got injured? I was alone, and no one would have heard me for a while. Then they'd seal up the place and ban people from entering.

That strange, forgotten piece of land. A single narrow road circled the entire compound, dipping and rising with the contours. There were two small buildings. One near the entrance, and one right next to the lake--obligatory accessories to the landscape. A patch of trees stood in the middle just beyond the lake-side building, and it was there that the owl seemed to be. Ah but it would be a good location! Bare grassland meant easier spotting of prey, and the distance away from roads meant less stray headlights of an oncoming vehicle.

There was a sort of silence, and it was rather charming to discover such a space amidst the bustle of the city. I imagined it was only temporary though. Someday someone would figure out a "use" for the land. But in the meantime, in this one moment, this was mine and mine alone.

Well, me and all those bats, that one owl, the fishes (maybe), and the potential creatures lurking beneath the grass.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home