Monday, December 24, 2007

Kent Ridge Park

I went running today. My route included, in order:

Kent Ridge Park
Normanton Park
Science Park I
National University of Singapore
Science Park II
Haw Par Villa


Kent Ridge Park has always been a very wonderful experience for me. I count the way up in numbers of slopes and bends. The entire route flattens and slopes 4 times, twisting twice. Of course, I use flatten here very losely. For it does not level out, but becomes merely less steep. And when the initial gradient hits at least 40-degrees, less steep is very easily attainable. Still, it is very much worth the steady run. When vehicles climb past you, you can distinctly hear the groan of the engine. And as they pass, the drivers give you a subtle glare of disbelief, a twinkle of respect in their eyes.

But the most amazing view is at the very summit. The sea reaches the sky in the distance. Nearer the shore, shimmering metallic cranes to the right complement the picture, appearing to finally be in harmony with nature. Even closer are vast canopies of green. Peeking through these are houses reminiscent of a time long past. Sharp, angular rooftops only rise ever so graciously beyond the height of the treetop canopy. Higher up in the sky, the sun beams its final smile upon Singapore, bathing everything in a bright orange glow. It fades through the entire rainbow spectrum. A rainbow that filled the entire horizon. Soon, the stars will come up. And soon, they will have their turn.

But again, I am reminded of her.
Of how she is ever so lovely to behold
But impossible to ever hold.
Like the sunset.

I smile, to no one in particular. And I run on...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home